March 20, 2017
A bit late in posting this. But last week I wrote for War on the Rocks about Turkey’s upcoming referendum and a trip to the cinema to see “Reis” (The Chief), the bonkers biopic/hagiography of President Erdoğan.
Here’s a trailer:
The film is really bad – not even so bad it’s good, just bad.
In other news, there’s a new addition to the special 1/3 off discount for Turkey Book Talk listeners on selected books from Hurst Publishers: Renowned sociologist Olivier Roy’s new book “Jihad and Death: The Global Appeal of Islamic State.”
So now you can support the podcast by ordering any of the following titles for at least 33% off plus free delivery (cheaper than Amazon!):
- “The New Turkey and its Discontents” by Simon Waldman and Emre Çalışkan
- “The Poisoned Well: Empire and its Legacy in the Middle East” by Roger Hardy
- “Out of Nowhere: The Syrian Kurds in Peace and War” by Michael Gunter
- “The Circassian: A Life of Eşref Bey, Late Ottoman Insurgent and Special Agent” by Benjamin Fortna
- “Jihad and Death: The Global Appeal of Islamic State” by Olivier Roy
(I will post a new podcast episode with Basharat Peer on his book “A Question of Order: India, Turkey, and the Return of Strongmen” later this week.)